Arlington County Board Special Election Call 2020
Party Canvass of the Arlington County Republican Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia to nominate a candidate for Member of the Arlington County Board.
As Chairman of the Arlington County Republican Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia, and pursuant to the Plan of Organization and as recommended and directed by the Committee, I, Andrew Loposser, do hereby issue this call for a Party Canvass to be held via electronic means from 12 noon on May 6th through 12 noon on May 7th for the purpose of nominating a Republican candidate for the office of Member of the Arlington County Board in the special election currently scheduled to be held on July 7, 2020.
The Chairman may cancel the Canvass in the event that fewer than two candidates file.
Qualifications for Candidates
Any legal resident who is a duly registered voter in Arlington County under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, as of the date of filing, regardless of race, religion, national origin or sex, and who certifies in writing that he or she is in accord with the principles of the Republican Party and intends to support its nominees for public office, may file as a candidate for Member of the Arlington County Board. In order to be certified for the Canvass ballot, candidates must meet all requirements established by Canvass rules.
Candidates for the nomination at said Canvass shall, not later than 5 p.m. on Saturday, May 2, 2020:
- File a written statement via email to Chairman Andrew Loposser at firstname.lastname@example.org, and
- Pay a filing fee of $750 to the Arlington County Republican Committee, electronically via http://www.arlingtongop.org/support.
Qualifications for Participation
All legal and qualified voters of Arlington County under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, regardless of race, religion, national origin or sex, who are in accord with the principles of the Republican Party and who, if requested, express in open meeting either orally or in writing as may be required, their intent to support all of its nominees for public office in the special election and November 2020 general election, may participate as members of the Republican Party of Virginia in its mass meetings, party canvasses, conventions or primaries encompassing their respective election districts.
Registration and Voting Procedures
In order to accommodate voting during the public health emergency declared by the Governor of Virginia and in accordance with the Party Plan of the Republican Party of Virginia providing for electronic meetings, the Canvass shall be conducted via electronic means:
- In order to participate, qualified voters must register to vote in the Canvass by requesting an electronic ballot not later than 7pm on Tuesday, May 5, 2020. A valid email and phone number must be included to register. In the event an individual who attempts to register is determined not to be qualified, the Chairman shall contact the denied registrant with notice of the defect to give the person an opportunity to resolve the conflict. All conflicts must be resolved no later than 11:30 am on May 6, 2020 in order to participate. The ballot request link will be available online at www.arlingtongop.org not later than 5pm on Sunday, May 3, 2020.
- “Ballots” will be issued electronically to the email provided by the requesting voter at 12 noon on May 6, 2020 and must be returned/completed via the by 12 noon on May 7, 2020. If technical difficulties with the delivery of the electronic ballots arise, the Chairman may extend the time by which ballots must be returned/completed, but it in no case shall that be more than 24 hours after ballots are issued.
- If two or fewer candidates file, the winner will be determined by a majority of ballots cast. If there are three or more candidates, the winner will be determined by plurality vote.
- In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined by coin flip, casting lots, or other random means at the discretion of the Chairman at 7pm on May 7, 2020. The process must be done live via an appropriate video conferencing system where the candidates or their designated observer are present.
Certification by the Chairman
The Chairman is directed to certify the Republican nominee not later than 5pm on Friday, May 8, 2020.